Collection and Use of Personal Information
Tim Hortons collects personal information from customers and others (an "Individual") when an Individual subscribes for services or purchases products, enters contests, subscribes to or shares information on Sites, and may from time to time collect additional personal information in the course of providing such products and services. Tim Hortons uses such personal information as is reasonably required to provide the requested services, products, or information, and as is otherwise required or permitted by applicable laws, including as follows:
- Tim Hortons also collects personal information from an Individual where the Individual submits an application for programs operated from time-to-time by Tim Hortons, such as the Tim Hortons Scholarship Program (the "Programs") or for an employment opportunity. Tim Hortons uses submitted personal information as is reasonably required to assess the Individual's eligibility in the Programs and to advertise and promote the Programs or to assess the Individual's suitability for employment at Tim Hortons.
- A Site may allow an Individual to make publicly available personal information about his or herself and others, including without limitation, photos and videos of himself or herself and of others. By making publicly available his or her personal information on the Site, the Individual consents to the publication of such personal information. By publishing personal information about another individual, the Individual represents that he or she has, where required by applicable privacy laws, obtained the consent of such individuals to publish such information.
- Personal information about an Individual, including credit card or other financial information, is collected when an Individual participates in the QuickPay Tim Card Program (the "Card Program"). Tim Hortons uses such personal information as is reasonably necessary for operating and managing the Card Program, including without limitation, processing registrations, billing credit cards, contacting Card Program participants, processing re-loads, and setting up automatic re-loads.
Tim Hortons collects demographic and profile data in connection with the Sites and uses such data to tailor each Individual's experience at the Sites and displaying the content according to the Individual's preferences.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Tim Hortons may disclose personal information as follows:
- to third-party service providers or agents who provide services to or on behalf of Tim Hortons (which third parties are obligated to maintain confidentiality and security of the personal information and are restricted from using such information other than as authorized by Tim Hortons or as otherwise permitted by law)
- to law enforcement agencies for the purposes of investigating fraud or other offences, in connection with the prevention or investigation of suspected fraudulent activities or harm to individuals or property, to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims, or in connection with an emergency that warrants use or disclosure of the information
- to legal, financial, insurance, and other advisors or in connection with the sale, reorganization, or management of all or part of its business or operations, and
- as consented to by an Individual from time to time, including to fulfill any other purposes that are identified when the personal information is collected.
Tim Hortons will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with an Individual's consent or as required or permitted by law. Consent may be express or implied, and given in writing by using or not using a check-off box, electronically, orally, or by the Individual's conduct, such as use of the services or products.
Cookies and IP Addresses
Tim Hortons protects against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information with security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information, including through the use of physical, organizational, and technological measures and appropriate training of employees. Tim Hortons may engage third party service providers to provide hosting, data storage and data retention services. Either Tim Hortons or such third party service provider may use servers for such purposes located in the United States or another foreign country. The personal information of an Individual may be processed and stored in the United States or such other foreign country, and the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain disclosure of personal information through the laws of the foreign country.
When appropriate, Individuals are given the opportunity to (i) opt-out of receiving communications from Tim Hortons, (ii) remove their personal information from Tim Hortons' records, or (iii) elect to no longer receive services from Tim Hortons. If an Individual wishes to opt-out of receiving further communications, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer (the "Privacy Officer") using the contact information provided below.
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
Address: 874 Sinclair Road, Oakville, ON L6K 2Y1